For AW12 there is an abundance of chic bodycon style midi dresses on the high street. Whether for day or night, they are a wardrobe essential for this season and can be worn by any shape and size, you just need to choose the right dress. Here are a few tips and some of my favourite dresses
- Choose a block dark shade of colour - a dark colour is more slimming than a lighter colour and block colours will make your body appear longer and sleeker rather than breaking it up. Also lighter colours are a nightmare for underwear with bodycon dresses so unless you want to wear an all in one underneath to prevent VPL's (which are a major no-no) or you commando (which is always an option...if you are brave) I would opt for a darker shade.
- Choose a pattern with vertical rather than horizontal lines, these again elongate your body. This is slightly contradictory from my previous point but small/strong patterns can also detract from problem areas such as the stomach, and will also help you avoid any visible underwear lines.
- If you are short, always, always, wear heels with a midi-length dress. Heels will elongate your calf and make your whole body appear longer and slimmer.
- If you want to add a belt, place it on the waist rather than the hips to help make your body appear shorter and your legs longer.
- Team a midi dress with a biker jacket and heeled ankle boots to create an edgy look for a night out
- Add a fur coat and sexy stilettos for a sophisticated and chic date night look
Here are a few of my favourites:
Plain midi dresses
I love this deep bottle green jacquered bodycon. it only need some simple gold or bronze accessories to complete the look
You can never go wrong with a simple black midi dress. Team with some gold jewellery for a sophisticated look or add a coloured blazer for a splash of colour in your outfit
Patterned midi dresses:
This patterned green and black midi dress is really funky and teamed with a leather jacket and heeled ankle boots would look really on-trend yet chic for a night out with the girls.
This is a far more classic pattern that is perfect for a date night with the boyfriend or hubby. Team with a sophicated fur or trench coat and classic black heels for a timeless yet on-trend look.
If you like something that will make you stand out from the crowd then go for this head turner. The vertical stripes will help to make you look slim while the pattern will make you feel funky and cool.